Wednesday 14 November 2012

My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell


         The book I started reading today was ‘My Family and Other Animals’ by Gerald Durrell, and autobiography. It was about a very large family moving to Greece and their experiences there, mainly the boy named Gerald’s. 
         After reading today, I found out that I had a very bad habit of skipping through the descriptions of the book and just reading the events that took place. I knew this was bad, so I tried to read every single word. The characters or events didn’t really help me learn something about myself, but the details of the book did.
        A passage I particularly liked was:
“Riding side-saddle on their slouching, drooping-eared donkeys, they were shrill and colorful as parrots, and their chatter and laughter echoed among the olive-trees. In the mornings they would smile and shout greetings as their donkeys pattered past”
      I really liked this paragraph for two reasons; One was that it was very descriptive, letting you imagine how it is in Greece and secondly because it sort of showed me the Greek culture, of how they sometimes rode donkeys to places. 
      I’d have to say this book so far is a little disappointing because I don’t think the author gave a very good introduction. I found it very confusing and I only understood the characters when I looked them up online. Hopefully, the book will get better as it goes on. 

The book cover

No comments:

Post a Comment